A month has passed since Typhoon Sendong ravaged Mindanao. God brought different groups of people together to work as one in rebuilding Iligan and Cagayan de Oro.
One team of medical professionals, known as the Victory Health Professional Volunteers, visited six barangays in Iligan to administer much-needed medical aid. The team was led by Dr. Jojo Rivera and worked in partnership with Operation Blessing.
The volunteers extended different forms of support. Medical missions were held in various places where tetanus vaccines, wound treatments, vitamins, and hospital assistance were administered as needed. A total of 1,037 patients received medical attention and more than a third of them accepted Jesus into their lives.
A support program called Holiday of Hope and Cheer was also organized, this time for the youth. By conducting art therapy classes, the volunteers were able to help young children overcome the shock and trauma that the typhoon has caused them. Several teenagers were also treated to a free lunch in nearby fast food chains and were given clothing allowance. 225 young people accepted Jesus into their lives through this outreach program.
Other forms of relief included the distribution of relief packs, sacks of rice, and carpentry kits. Clean-up efforts were also conducted in some of the affected areas.
Janelle Pacete, one of the volunteers, recounts, “This experience personally touched me and taught me how to be very grateful for the things I normally take for granted. To me, it could just be another one of the inexpensive (fast food) meals. To them, it meant an experience of a lifetime.”
Various forms of support are coming in, left and right, but the need still remains great. Let’s continue to include Iligan and Cagayan de Oro in our prayers.
- Pray for emotional and physical strength for the victims, that they will rise above their current situation and look into the future with renewed hope and joy.
- Pray for strength, wisdom, and fear of God for the local government officials in this time of recovery.
- Pray for more opportunities to share the Word of God during this season.
- Pray for strength for our leadership teams in Victory Iligan and Victory Cagayan de Oro as they continually minister to affected families and individuals.
- Pray for more volunteers to invest their skills and resources into rebuilding these cities.
We are in faith that God will move mightily in spite of all that has happened to our brothers and sisters in Mindanao. Thank you for your support and for praying with us!
You can still participate in the ongoing relief efforts. For more information on how to give, click here.