Earlier this month, aspirants for the upcoming Philippine Elections in May 2021 filed certificates of candidacy (COC). This has been one of the most talked about issues in news and social media platforms, and has caused a growing discourse over political opinions and preferences between Filipinos.
We are drawn to misunderstanding because of our differences in principles and choices. While differences and opinions are good, sometimes they can cause disunity and disrespect to arise among us. However, the strong emotions that fueled these conflicts may be the telltale sign of the hearts of the Filipinos—a heart that yearns for hope that change for our nation is possible.
As we prepare for what is up ahead, let us take this opportunity to declare our hope in the Lord. Let us pray for God’s redemptive work to prevail in our nation.
We put our hope in the LORD. He is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
Let your unfailing love surround us, LORD, for our hope is in you alone.
Psalm 33:20–22 (NLT)
This is true even as we face another calamity during this prolonged pandemic season. Tropical Storm Maring has affected a lot of families and livelihoods since it entered the Northern Luzon region. According to NDRRMC, a total of 50,040 families or 194,677 people were displaced by the storm. Maring left a trail of destruction and an estimated PHP 1 billion damage to agriculture.
This is not the final episode of our nation’s story. As a nation, let us remember that God is King over the floods and calamities (Psalm 29:10–11). He is a God who redeems and restores, giving relief, hope, and strength in every season.
- Pray that as a nation, we will look only to Jesus as our source of hope.
- Pray that we will do our part in nation building through prayer and discipleship. (Acts 1:6–8; 1 Timothy 2:1–2)
- Pray for everyone affected by Typhoon Maring in Northern Luzon. Pray for hope and relief in their present situation, and for God to restore everything they have lost.
To learn more about the current situation in our nation, you can read the resources in the links below.
- Philippine Star article on aspirants for national posts in 2022 Elections
- Rappler article on list of aspirants for the top two positions in national government
- ABS-CBN article on candidates for national positions in 2022 Elections
- Inquirer article on Tropical Storm Maring
- Philippine Star article on the devastation Tropical Storm Maring caused on Luzon Provinces