Our country is currently facing a sugar shortage. The retail price of sugar has now gone beyond PHP 100 per kilogram, and this inevitably triggers an increase in the prices of processed foods and beverages. Recent data has shown that this has also resulted in the growth of the inflation rate to 6.4% in July.
Poverty incidence in the Philippines in 2021 has risen to 18.1%, where about 20 million Filipinos are considered to be living below the poverty line. More than 1 million families are also considered ‘food poor,’ meaning that they are unable ‘to acquire or consume an adequate or sufficient quantity of food in socially acceptable ways, or uncertain that they will be able to do so.’
The thought of being in lack or not having enough to meet our basic needs may bring fear to most of us, but let us always remember that God is the sustainer of life. How God has faithfully fed the birds in the air and clothed the grass of the field, this He will do and so much more for His children (Matthew 34:26–29).
As we continue to put our trust in God for provision and believe that He knows our needs even before we ask, let us be a blessing and pray for our nation. Especially for our leaders who will make the decisions regarding our economy. Even in times of lack, we can be a blessing.
- In this time of rising inflation and economic insecurity, pray that Filipinos will put their trust and hope in God as the faithful provider and sustainer of life.
- Pray for wisdom for government officials and policymakers as they guide the nation out of this crisis.
- Pray for the government, planters, millers, traders, and industrial consumers. May they work together for the common good of the Filipino people.
To learn more about the current situation in our nation, you can read the resources in the links below.
- Inquirer article about the increase of food prices as triggered by the sugar crisis
- Philippine Star article on the worsening sugar woes the country is facing
- Inquirer article on the increase of the incidence of poverty in the Philippines
- Philippine Star article on the inflation and economy of the Philippines