The COVID-19 Delta variant is now in the Philippines, with confirmed community transmission and a total of 64 cases as of July 24, 2021. It is a mutation that originally surfaced in India and was initially identified in December 2020. This variant is said to be at least 75% more transmissible than the original COVID-19 strain.
In light of this, NCR+ (Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal) has once again been placed under general community quarantine with heightened restrictions until July 31. Meanwhile, the provinces of Bataan and Davao Occidental, as well as Cagayan de Oro City and Butuan City, are placed under modified enhanced community quarantine.
Let us continue to be vigilant in practicing health safety protocols, such as wearing of face masks and shields, keeping physical distance, and meeting in well-ventilated spaces. Vaccination has also been reported to slow down the spread. At present, the Philippines has had 4.7 million citizens fully vaccinated (4.27% of the population), with another 5.7 million awaiting their second dose.
But God remains to be our ultimate protection, for “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty” and “He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence” (Psalm 91:1, 3).
Our response is one of faith, not of fear, and so, “I will say to the LORD, ‘My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust’” (Psalm 91:2).
As a response, this is God’s promise: “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows My name; when he calls to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him; with long life I will satisfy him and show him My salvation” (Psalm 91:14–16).
On the basis of this shall we pray!
- Pray that the spread of the COVID-19 virus would cease, and may God spare the nation from an outbreak of the Delta variant (Psalm 91:9–10).
- Speak God’s protection on those who continue to go outside and serve our nation, especially those in the healthcare system and those who keep the economy moving (Psalm 91:4–6).
- Pray for those affected by the Taal volcano’s recent activity, the recent earthquakes, and the flooding caused by the monsoon rains (Psalm 91:11–12).
To learn more about the COVID-19 situation in our nation, you can read the resources in the links below.
- The Philippines logs 17 new Delta variant cases, total climbs to 64
- DOH: Government further intensifying COVID-19 response with local transmission of Delta variant
- Government imposes stricter GCQ in Metro Manila, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur
- Indonesia is the new epicenter of the COVID pandemic as the Delta variant surges and vaccination rates lag
- TRACKER: The Philippines’ COVID-19 vaccine distribution
- Coronavirus: Week of July 18 to July 24
- 5 Things To Know About the Delta Variant